The History of Sertoma International
Sertoma was formed as the Cooperative Club in 1912 and is over 100 years old. During the early years and into the 1920’s it grew across the United States. Businessmen, through networking and friendships, built club after club. The focus was businessmen working together and by sharing the benefits of their business loyalties they made their communities better by “giving back”. Although World War II slowed the explosive growth, it picked up again in the late 1940’s, 1950’s and beyond. Most clubs in the Denver and greater Colorado Springs areas were part of the growth movement in the 1970’s and 1980’s. The sponsorship focus of Speech and Hearing was established in the mid 1960’s and, along with National Heritage (celebrating our “National Heritage of Freedom and Democracy), youth programs and meeting local community needs became the broader service focus during the most successful years of Sertoma’s history. We strive to continue that mission today.